World Down Syndrome Day – March 21 – will soon be here. It is an opportunity to raise awareness and celebrate people with Down syndrome and an opportunity to promote inclusion. And how do people celebrate World Down Syndrome Day? By wearing crazy socks.
Here are some celebrations and events we have seen:
- Companies and schools where everyone wears crazy socks and learns about Down syndrome.
- Schools holding assemblies to learn about Down syndrome and to promote inclusion.
- Companies that have bought socks like our Down Syndrome Awareness Socks to give to employees to celebrate World Down Syndrome Day.
- Companies holding inclusion events on World Down Syndrome Day.
- Organizations like the Chamber of Commerce or Rotary Clubs inviting people to speak about Down syndrome.
At John’s Crazy Socks, we can help with these celebration and events:
- John and Mark can speak at your event either in person, virtually or via a recorded message.
- We can supply you with socks for your event and celebration. We have supplied businesses with socks and special gift packs to give out on that day. We can arrange special packaging and discounts.
- We can work with organizations such as your PTA and Special Education PTAs (SEPTAs) with our Charity Fundraising Program where people buy crazy socks and that raises money for the PTA or SEPTA.
What is World Down Syndrome Day?
In 2012, the United Nations declared March 21 World Down Syndrome Day (WDSD). It is a day to raise awareness about Down syndrome and to promote inclusion. People have worn crazy socks on World Down Syndrome Day because socks resemble images of chromosomes and Down syndrome is caused by have an extra 21st chromosome. Socks also celebrate the individualism and beauty of people with Down syndrome. As John Cronin, co-founder of John’s Crazy Socks and a man with Down syndrome says, “The socks let me be me.”
John’s Crazy Socks and Down Syndrome
John Cronin, a young entrepreneur who happens to have Down syndrome, could not find meaningful work upon graduating high school so he decided to start his own business. He told his father that he wanted to go into business with him and came up with the idea to sell socks. John loved crazy socks and had worn them his whole life. He wanted to start a business with a mission to spread happiness and to show what he and other people with differing abilities could do.
John’s Crazy Socks opened in December 2016 and has grown into the world’s largest sock store with more than 4,000 different sock offerings. More than half our employees have a differing ability and we work to show the world what people with differing abilities can do when given a chance.
Giving back is part of our mission, so John has created a series of Down Syndrome Awareness socks that raise awareness about Down syndrome and raise money for the National Down Syndrome Society. John has designed many of these socks himself including his favorite, the Down Syndrome Superhero Socks.
We can help you with your World Down Syndrome Celebration. We can share ideas, offer information, provide videos and help you plan a wonderful day or event. Just call us at 631-760-5625 or send an email to service@Johnscrazysocks.com