Now Hiring: Customer Service Rep (aka Happiness Creator)
The job in nutshell:Our Customer Service Reps work with our customers to make them happy. This work entails responding to customer inquiries that arrive in many ways (phone, email, FB messenger, chat, etc.). The responses involve many different tasks: answering questions, resolving problems, taking orders, handling returns, managing reviews and more. We want someone who loves to work with customers, who can handle a range of different tasks and is committed to delighting our customers and help us make a difference.
Interested? Read the job description carefully. Read about our mission and values at the end of this document. If you think this is the right job for you, send a cover letter telling us why you are the right person for this job and attach your resume.
Overview of the Customer Rep Job
We are in the business of spreading happiness and our Happiness Creators are critical to pursuing that mission. You play a vital role because you are our direct contact with our customers. You help us deliver great service and make our customers happy. We rely on you to help deliver WOWs to our customers.
We want John’s Crazy Socks to be a great place to work and a place where each of us can do our best work. We are seeking people who view this opportunity as not just a job, not just a good career move, but a calling to make a difference in the world. Does this sound right for you?
Here are the three criteria we will consider in hiring a person for this role:
- Mission: Do you understand and believe in our mission?
- Culture: Do you share our values so that you will be a good fit in our organization and our organization will be the place where you can do your best work?
- Skills: Do you have the skills to do the work?
Skills matter, but we have learned that culture and mission matter more. We have a diverse workforce and value diversity. We have put our mission and values at the end of this job description. Please read that information carefully to make sure we are a good fit for you.
Here are the main functions that our Happiness Creators provide:
- Respond to customer communications that come to us in many ways: emails, chat, phone calls, social media messages. We use a customer service management system to collect and respond to our customers.
- Take customers orders on the phone
- Manage returns (we are fortune that our return rate is less than one percent)
- Help our Fulfillment staff resolve problematic orders (e.g., incorrect address)
- Respond to request for donations
- Review and manage online reviews
- Work with customers on requests for bulk and custom orders
Since our Happiness Creators are close to our customers, we ask for your input on everything from how we package our orders to what products we carry to what changes we make at our website.
What is it like to work here? We invite you to share our mission to spread happiness and show what people with differing abilities can do. We work in a collegial environment that is fast paced, but not stressed out. We enjoy each other’s company. We work with meaning and purpose and share the happiness.
Your days will vary. You will monitor Facebook messages, answer phone calls, work with customers on bulk and custom orders, manage donation requests and generally work on ways we can meet the immediate needs of our customers and find ways to better serve them in the future. We do not operate a traditional call center. You will work in an open plan with other members of the John’s Crazy Socks Team.
Here are the traits that people who succeed here demonstrate:
- Buy into the mission of delivering happiness through socks
- Commit to excellence
- Never simply process, always look to do great work
- Learn, learn, and keep learning
- Work with the team as all of us are smarter than any one of us
- Believe in personal responsibility
- Look for ways to deliver WOWs
- Have fun
- Enthusiasm for the mission and job
- The attitude that every encounter with a customer is an opportunity to WOW the customer, to do something special for that customer
- The ability to work independently (we do not micro-manage)
- Good phone manner: if we are spreading happiness, we should do that in the way we speak to customers on the phone
- The ability to write well: write clear, concise sentences and organize your ideas.
- Good organizational skills: you will be asked to do a variety of task and that requires that you organize your day well
- Basic computer skills and a comfort using a customer management system
- Good problem-solving abilities
- Familiarity with social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Ability to work hard
Here is what we offer:
- Work with meaning and purpose
- A positive work environment
- Competitive pay
- Benefits (health, dental, vision, 401(k), etc.
- Staff lunch every Friday
- Bagel Wednesday
- A job you can enjoy and can make you feel proud
We think it is a great role and that this is a great place to work. But we are not for everyone. Consider the information we share and investigate our company (website, Facebook, Instagram, ask around). If what you learn excites you, then we urge you to apply.
If you think we are the right place for you and this is the right job for you, we would love to hear from you. Please follow these instructions:
- Prepare a cover letter to explain why you think this is the right job for you
- Use the letter to show that you can write well
- Attach a resume
Send it to email@example.com.
Do not call or walk in. Resumes without a cover letter will be rejected.
We are a mission driven organization committed to spreading happiness. We were born out of the love between a father (Mark) and son (John) and a desire to make people happy.
Because John has Down syndrome, we have a focus on showing what people with differing abilities can do. That means we hire people with differing abilities and we do all we can through videos, social media shares, warehouse tours, hosting work groups, speaking engagements, advocacy and donations to share the world what people with differing abilities can do. We are a small company, yet all we are trying to do is change the world.
We know that Giving Back is essential and it is baked into everything we do. It is not enough to just sell stuff. Our mission, our values and our business are personal. What we do matters.
To fulfill this mission, we have created a social enterprise where we have both a social mission and a business mission. It is not enough to simply sell stuff, we need to have a purpose and make our values manifest in all that we do. We serve more than a profit motive, we serve our staff, our customers and our community.
We built our organization on four pillars:
- Inspiration and Hope: Employing people with differing abilities and showing what they can do.
- Giving Back: We start by pledging 5 percent of our earnings to the Special Olympics and many of our products raise money for charity partners like the National Down Syndrome Society and Autism Speaks.
- Awesome Products You Can Love: Starting with our socks, everything we offer must be fun and spread happiness.
- Making It Personal: Exemplified by the hand-written thank you note and candy that we put in every package, we make a personal connection with our customers.
We have a definite culture that we continue to nurture. Our culture reflects our mission and the values of all of us who work here.
What We Believe and Who We Are
- Spreading Happiness: Everything we do manifests our desire to spread happiness with our colleagues, customers and community. We are passionate in our desire to wow people, to delight them, to make them smile inside and out. We want to lift others up and in doing so, we raise ourselves up. Spreading happiness comes first and everything follows.
- Showing What People Can Do When Given an Opportunity: We see abilities, not disabilities. We seek the good in people. We build on empathy, compassion, and encouragement. We are welcoming and inclusive. We are the isle of misfit toys.
- Fun:We love having fun epitomized by John dancing at work. We make work enjoyable. We are never boring or corporate. We can laugh at ourselves and love to laugh with others. Being fun means we get a little crazy sometimes, after all, we are John’s Crazy Socks. We share that fun with everyone.
- Teamwork: We start by doing our job but are quick to help others. We know that all of us are smarter than any one of us and that together we can accomplish far more than we can alone. Our focus is on the mission and not competition with our colleagues. We respect and value our colleagues. We learn from our colleagues every day. We are egalitarian: the best idea wins. We show support and kindness, there is already too much meanness in the world. We enjoy collaboration and treasure our diversity.
- Giving Back: We are fortunate to do what we do and are grateful. We are not takers: we give back with our spirit, talent, time and money so we can lift others. Each of us has a personal responsibility to give back to the community by giving our time, energy and expertise. It is not enough for the business to make donations. Giving back is a personal commitment of each person working here. That means volunteering, joining walks, helping in the community.
- Dream Big: We are on a great big adventure. We are bold. We are risk takers. We are creative and love to innovate. We will reach beyond our grasp. Yes, we may fail, but we get right back up. We walk the path that others may not take and relish in that journey. We are not like every other company, do not follow in the paths made by others and do not live by their norms. We have an obligation to our dreams and that helps spread happiness. After all, we are trying to change the world.
- Strive for excellence: No excuses. Our dreams are worthless if we do not execute. Our dreams are the promises we make, the execution makes the dreams real. We will go the extra step to get things done. If something does not work, we admit it and change it. If we can make something better, we do. We never settle and we never stop improving. It is all part of our journey.
- Constant Learning: Things will constantly change, so we need to keep learning to stay ahead of changes. We need to learn to keep improving what we do. We need to learn so we can forge our new path. Personal development is important to us and we take time for our personal growth. We read, we take online courses, we watch webinars, we attend conferences, we take field trips and more. The learning never stops. Without each of us learning and growing as individuals, the organization cannot learn and grow.
- Open and Honest Communication:We are honest and transparent. We are human, we admit our vulnerability and have nothing to hide. We earn trust through our openness. We are direct in our communications. We are good for our word. No BS. No games. We become better people and a better organization by being honest, learning and evolving.
- Commitment: Our mission and our values mean nothing without a deep personal commitment to them.